"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." --Henry David Thoreau


"Service is the rent we pay for being, It is the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time."

--Marion Wright Edelman


"The fruit of love is SERVICE. The fruit of service is PEACE" --Mother Teresa

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Baking: Mack Style

I walked into the grocery store this afternoon and BAM, a beautiful wall of vegetables and fruits. Availability of these items are sporadic and never guaranteed, so when i walked in the store today to a wall filled with veggies i was so excited. I was honestly only there for carrots and green peppers but walked out with string beans, lettuce, cabbage and CHERRIES! yes cherries, my favorite fruit. I wasn't sure what i was going to do with them, but i knew if all else fails i will just eat them like they are, as i know my baking abilities are nowhere near Rachel Ray.

I reached home and cooked a wonderful veggie quesadilla and felt a need to bake. Now this sentence might only be funny to my mother and sister, but Mackenzie and baking should never be put in the same sentence. I can cook like no other, Paula Dean has nothing on my cooking abilities. But when it comes to baking, Betty Crocker and I never really got along. I think its because with baking you have to do all this prep work and then wait....wait....wait....Im not so good with the waiting. I move on to my next task and COMPLETELY forget about the things in the oven. Then WHAM, i have charcoal cookies. I can rarely remember to set a timer, so that's not an alternative either.

So tonight i set my mind that i was going to make cherry muffins. I follow alot of cooking/baking blogs in hope that i can train myself to bake just by reading good blogs. This was my first attempt with the theory. I'm mixing and mixing and mixing. Then i go to find a muffin pan....DAMN! Now one would of thought you would look for the pan BEFORE baking...not me. I had a cookie sheet and a pan, I decided to make due. I figured i could just plop the muffin mix on the cookie sheet like cookies and they will turn out fine. My first failure...



So after those failed miserably in the oven i decided just putting the remainder of the mix in a pan and baking it like a cake was my only option. Thankfully they turned out alright and they actually taste just like muffins, they just aren't round. haha. Who ever made up the rule that muffins had to be round anyways? I'm breaking stereotypes people! Hope you got a good laugh out of this but until then i will stick with cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment