"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." --Henry David Thoreau


"Service is the rent we pay for being, It is the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time."

--Marion Wright Edelman


"The fruit of love is SERVICE. The fruit of service is PEACE" --Mother Teresa

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Peace

Its been a long day. Most days are long in the life of a Peace Corps worker, but today was particularly long. When i can feel the workday coming to an end i think of the one place on this island that i want to be: my veranda.

I wish i could say its quiet out here, but its not. I wish i could say it was cool and calm, but its not. Its everything i want it to be though. Its a plastic green chair and a nice place to rest my computer. Its a place of stillness where i can gather my thoughts from the day and reevaluate my progress. This place teaches me to love nature as i overlook my village and the ocean in the distance. I hear birds chirping, public buses hustling by, neighbors greeting each other and kids skipping to the village bakery. I hear the river water bouncing off the rocks like a sweet song. I see a beautiful church in the distance and can hear the choir praising the Lord while little children throw rocks into the river.



The constant honk of car horns remind me that this village is a family, for there is no one that doesn't know each other. As the hairdresser across the street closes up shop for the night she yells hello from across the road. My neighbor Judy brings me sweet mangoes from the market and we sit on the veranda and talk about our day. The gentle old man down the road knows i love fresh cherries and my supply is never low. All this while i get a sense that maybe I'm starting to become part of this village family. This place is no longer new and unknown to me, but rather refreshing and enlightening.



I find peace and harmony on this veranda for i know that tomorrow yields another day of hard work and frustration. I cant control what will happen tomorrow or next year, but what i can control is the beauty of this opportunity. The gift I've been given to help people is something i will never be able to repay, but i think for what I'm giving these people I'm getting twice as much back from them.


No comments:

Post a Comment