"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." --Henry David Thoreau


"Service is the rent we pay for being, It is the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time."

--Marion Wright Edelman


"The fruit of love is SERVICE. The fruit of service is PEACE" --Mother Teresa

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Bread? Fruit?


I have found my favorite tropical treat...breadfruit. No, it has nothing to do with bread or fruit and i have no reason why its named this. Maybe i should do research but I'm to busy enjoying it right now. I have alot of different trees in my yard, from grapefruit to oranges and coconuts. But my most favorite tree is the hugeeeee breadfruit tree that stands on the side of my apartment. Its got these huge limbs, beautiful hunter green leaves and small green balls. I am constantly tripping over the breadfruit that has fallen from the tree but i cant ever figure out when its actually ripe so i kindly asked my neighbor this morning as i was out there pondering. She told me you have to feel them and if they are solid but you can squeeze them a bit then they are perfect to eat. FABULOUS! i had found my breadfruit and was ready to make some breadfruit salad. Many that know me understand that i love grilling out, but my favorite part of a cookout are the sides. haha. And potato salad TOPS that list. My roommate in the dorms during college had a mother that was a Godsend for many reasons, but one was because she would send back Stacy with potato salad JUST for me. haha. This breadfruit is very similar to a potato and has the same texture and taste, so many Grenadians make breadfruit salad with it. I chopped up some carrots, snap peas, eggs and such and through it together to make a delicious breadfruit salad. Today is a good day...Now back to cleaning. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment