"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." --Henry David Thoreau


"Service is the rent we pay for being, It is the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time."

--Marion Wright Edelman


"The fruit of love is SERVICE. The fruit of service is PEACE" --Mother Teresa

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Have it your way?

I sat down at the computer tonight thinking i had some great things to share with people, and it has ALL slipped my mind. Apparently it wasn't that important so i figured i would tell you about Subway, yes Subway.

We have two American fast food places on the island, KFC and Subway. Random combination right? When i arrived on island and heard there was fast food i said a prayer to God that it was Taco Bell. Nope, it sure wasn't. Maybe i didn't pray hard enough...next time God, next time.

Anyways...My to do list today was forever long, so i was running all over town paying bills, standing in the FOREVER long bank line and trying to find gold ribbon (don't ask). I worked at my primary school all morning and left a bit early to start on my list because i had anticipated that finding gold ribbon would be a chore in Grenada, it wasn't. haha. As i was on my mission to conquer town i realized i hadn't ate all day and it was already 3 o'clock. Who would of thought that moving to Grenada would put eating at the bottom of my important list. THERE IS A GOD!!!! hahaha.

So as i was paying my electric bill (and waiting in another outrageous line), I realized that Subway was really close to the place i was going and i hadn't splurged any in the last week, so i could afford a 14 dollar sandwich. haha. Yes i said 14 dollars. Bet your gonna enjoy your 5 dollar foot long now aren't ya? I didn't receive the "Hi! Welcome to Subway" greeting as i walked in the door either, i should of known. Thankfully the menu was still the American Subway menu so i ordered the usual Subway Melt. As my sandwiched moved down the line the lady was asking what i wanted on my sandwich. After every thing i said (lettuce, pickle, onion, cucumber, jalapenos, mayo) she would say, "ok that's going to cost extra". I thought to myself, "why in the world is there a price next to the sandwich if it ALL depends on what you put ON the sandwich?", but i was good and insisted she continue. I got to the register and my originally 14 dollar sandwich was now NINETEEN DOLLARS!!! Can you tell someone to please take off the lettuce, cucumbers and pickles because my sandwich costs too much? UGH! So i reluctantly paid the 19 dollars and took my sandwich, knowing i wouldn't be able to eat for the next 3 days because of my 19 dollar sandwich. I'm kidding...kinda.

After a not so good sandwich that cost me 19 dollars i continued on my mission to complete my to do list, all while kicking myself in the shin for "needing" American fast food. Great marketing Subway...

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I did the same thing not to long ago here on Dominica, and as I went down the line it wasn't "thats going to cost extra" it was "we don't have that." So my bacon and ranch, chicken sandwich turned out to just be chicken and lettuce... Plus the lady told me not to cry about it when I was annoyed they didn't have ranch at the end! Never again will I go there and have a $20 just chicken sandwich again!

    ReplyDelete