"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." --Henry David Thoreau


"Service is the rent we pay for being, It is the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time."

--Marion Wright Edelman


"The fruit of love is SERVICE. The fruit of service is PEACE" --Mother Teresa

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter: Grenada Style!

I have survived my first holiday in Grenada and although i missed my Easter basket from my momma, i did really enjoy seeing how Grenadians celebrate. We started off the morning by heading to church at 7am. Ive come to realize that its impossible for me to sleep in here, it gets to hot. So getting up and starting my day early really doesn't phase me anymore. We attended the beautiful St.George Methodist church and received a great service. The choir was great, the sermon was fitting and the people were cheerful. It did make me miss the Easter mass back home but i took what i could get. I did meet a lady whose birthday was yesterday and she was turning 106 years old. I thought it was the coolest thing to meet someone who has lived such a long fulfilling life. She seemed so happy to hear another group of volunteers were on the island and told me she remembered the first group of volunteers that came to Grenada over 45 years ago. IMPRESSIVE!

After church we headed home to quickly get off our hot church clothes and into some more comfortable attire. My fellow volunteer friend Crystal came over this afternoon and we had some good limin time. Limin is what Americans consider hanging out, but here it typically happens in a rum shop or on the porch; we chose the porch. We enjoyed some beautiful weather and had great conversation. Just what we both needed for our first holiday away.

My host mom promised me a great Easter dinner and i got just that. Crystal, Miss June and i gathered around the kitchen and began preparing chicken, vegetables and potatoes. Its amazing how cooking can bring people so close. Miss June told us about the invasion, Hurricane Ivan and her family history. She tells stories that use so much imagery that it seems as if your there. I also learned some GREAT recipes i cant wait to show people back home. I'm gonna be the next Rachel Ray-Grenada style when i get off this island. Watch out Food Network! After preparing baked chicken, stirfry, pineapple potatoes and fried plantains we sat down as a family and had a great supper! I was so happy to sit around a table and converse over a great meal, just like i would do back in the States.

Happy Easter to everyone! I miss and love you all!

Me and Crystal posing!

Fried Plantain and Pineapple Potatoes

learning the ropes of the kitchen


Miss June

Amazing stirfry

No comments:

Post a Comment