"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." --Henry David Thoreau


"Service is the rent we pay for being, It is the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time."

--Marion Wright Edelman


"The fruit of love is SERVICE. The fruit of service is PEACE" --Mother Teresa

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Simple Moments

I walked in to my Grade 1 classroom at St. Paul's Govt Primary yesterday for the first time in what seems like years. I had been in St. Lucia and Dominica since the last time I saw them and needed their laughter. Their sweet moments of innocence, their hugs, their smiles. I had just been on the news the night before talking about my hometown being leveled by a tornado. I'm sure they had all seen it, so I was prepared for an emotional day. But what I really needed was to see their happiness, simply going on with their day with no care in the world.

What I was welcomed by was something I couldn't prepare for, letters. After a mauling of hugs by adorable short people they were eager to show me their letters, letters they had written to their friends in Joplin, Missouri. I have done countless lessons with them on where I am from, why my skin is white, what America is, how I came to Grenada, etc. But on this day I wasn't prepared to see genuine concern from 6 year olds, just wanting to hug me and tell me its going to be ok. "Miss, was your home hurt?", "Miss, we missed you so much!", "Miss, can you tell your friends we love them?"

Their letters brought tears to my eyes, so much that I needed to step out of the room. "Miss, its ok to cry, we know you love America". First graders, with hearts of gold who just want people to be happy, who want people who let them be children whenever they want to be. But then, out of the blue, they surprise us with moments of adulthood that even adults can't seem to muster. And on this day, I simply learned its ok to miss home, its ok to cry when you are sad, and its true when they say something we just need to listen to children.

One of my students letter to her friend in Joplin:

Dear Joplin,

My teacher told me a tornado hit your village. What is a tornado? We have hurricanes in Grenada. Do you know what a hurricane is? Is your mommy and daddy ok? I don't know where Missouri is, but I am thinking of you. I am from Grenada, not Missouri. I hope God bless your town and help your people pick up the mess. Is it mess there? Ms. Garst said tornado make things break. Are your toys break? I will send you some if your toys break. God Bless!

Your Friend,
Shamika

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. Never deny your tears. Let them fall when the well gets too full. Always let laughter, smiles and love fill you back up. More hugs to you, Ms. Garst.
    ♥ Mrs. Leifer

    ReplyDelete