"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." --Henry David Thoreau


"Service is the rent we pay for being, It is the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time."

--Marion Wright Edelman


"The fruit of love is SERVICE. The fruit of service is PEACE" --Mother Teresa

Monday, May 30, 2011

Last Week and This Week

Last week I was worried about which mountain we were gonna hike.


This week I'm worried if my hometown will ever recover from this F-5 tornado.

Last week I couldn't decide which outfit to wear to a party.

This week I'm telling my mom to send all my clothes to the emergency shelter.

Last week I was annoyed that my sister was getting to spend time at home.


This week my heart aches that I can't be home with my family and friends.

Last week I was worried I couldn't afford to grocery shop.

This week I am worried about the hundreds of people now left homeless. 

Last week I was arguing with a friend about the importance of service.

This week I see her out volunteering day and night. 

Last week I thought Webb City was the best place to live.

This week I proudly call Joplin my hometown.

Last week I was frustrated at my friends not keeping in touch.

This week I scrambled to find their phone numbers to ensure their safety. 

Last week I watched as neighboring communities slander each others towns.

This week I watched thousands of neighbors pull together in times of need. 

Last week I decided to take a break from Facebook.

This week I frantically search every newsfeed post for updates on the recovery.

Last week I complained about Peace Corps medical checks.


This week I see pictures of our town without a main hospital.

Last week I was enjoying a vacation in Dominica.

This week I feel guilty I can't be home.

Last week I worried about tomorrow.

This week I'm thankful for today.


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS!!! That is so awesome - you are so awesome. :)

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great perspective! I know it still aches to have a piece of your heart in MO.

    ReplyDelete