"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." --Henry David Thoreau


"Service is the rent we pay for being, It is the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time."

--Marion Wright Edelman


"The fruit of love is SERVICE. The fruit of service is PEACE" --Mother Teresa

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My 23rd Year

Since seeing my 23rd year of existence come to a conclusion on June 18th, and my 24th year officially starting, I thought I would reflect a little bit. My favorite part of my birthday is being able to relax in the morning, knowing the day was made for you, and reflecting on all the things you learned and achieved during the previous year. This year I got the chance to sit on my veranda, enjoy a nice cup of coffee, look over the mountains I call home and reflect. Upon reflecting I realized there would be some value in writing down what I had learned/accomplished over the last year. I can truly say, this past year has been the most rewarding year of my life and I have so much to be thankful for. This world is showing me so much about myself and I'm loving every minute.

So, here is my last year of "Learnt and Accomplished":

  1. The more I learn, the less I really know
  2. People from other parts of the U.S. are nothing like I had assumed. There aren't just narcissists from California and bluntly rude people from New York. 
  3. Children know so much more than we give them credit for. They can tell when we are upset, when we need a hug and when to smile. I am learning to listen and appreciate what kids have to say. 
  4. Leaving the comforts of my hometown and country really is the biggest learning opportunity for me personally. My internal moral development has drastically changed and improved. I'm proud of that improvement. 
  5. Working for the U.S. Government is something I will never do again. Yes I am guaranteed a paycheck each month and have great healthcare (for the Eastern Caribbean), there are definite downfalls in working for such a massive "company". 
  6. Living by myself is wonderful. The alone time has given me time to learn about myself, something I suppressed in years past by constantly staying busy.
  7. I am capable of teaching, I just have to believe in my abilities. I don't always enjoy teaching, but I can do it when necessary. 
  8. I painted a 30 foot mural practically by myself. I have no painting experience and had no idea what I was doing, but with the help of another volunteer, I am nearing completion.
  9. Women's rights is my passion but something I couldn't do the rest of my life. I will always be an advocate but will never make it a career.
  10. Being a minority is fun. Sometimes.
  11. Sometimes taking time to step back and seeing a situation from the outside, as an observer, is the greatest insight into the meaning.
  12. I love Webb City, Missouri more than words can express. I remember wanting out so bad and now I find myself longing to return. I will be back WCMO!!!
  13. Life is unpredictable and lives are taken to soon. Live today
  14. Eating meat isn't a necessity, especially when its pig tail, cow tongue, road kill or animal feet. 
  15. Skype is a life saver. 
  16. True friends will always make it a priority to maintain the friendship you have. Its worth realizing the friends who take the time and appreciate them.
  17. I in truth, can fake knowing just about anything in this world. Its part of Peace Corps life lessons and I have mastered it. 
  18. I can only control so much from 2,000 miles away from home. I have learned this lesson through loss and I think its a lesson we all must learn.
  19. I am meant to be in development work. I will never sit behind a desk in a little cubicle. I need to be out in the grassroots movement, getting dirty and truly seeing change. 
  20. I LOVE MY LIFE!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment