"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." --Henry David Thoreau


"Service is the rent we pay for being, It is the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time."

--Marion Wright Edelman


"The fruit of love is SERVICE. The fruit of service is PEACE" --Mother Teresa

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Quick Update on the Mural

Phase One:

We started by taping off all the edges of the top and bottom parts of the wall. This helped in not getting paint all over the place, although the floor still saw some extra. oops.



Phase Two:

Two coats of primer on the wall to ensure the paint would hold to the wall. The teachers loved this color for some reason and were asking if I could just leave it like this. HA! seriously?





Phase Three:

Ocean blue painted on the wall, then 9 cm by 9cm squares are traced on the wall. Let me reassure you that drawing millions of little squares was NOT my favorite part of the process. It took me an entire week to complete, but is helpful in griding the art onto the wall. 



Phase Four:

Using the original paper drawing, we followed square by square to draw the art onto the wall. This part takes serious concentration, patience and a decent level of drawing abilities. For this phase I had the help of Katie, the artist of the mural, and Stephanie, another volunteer. They were saints in this process as I was still busy griding the wall as they were drawing. 

We hope to start painting the mural this week with the help of some students and teachers. This project has been a huge learning experience for me, but one I think I will appreciate for many years down the road. Keep checking back for more updates as they arrive. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment