"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." --Henry David Thoreau


"Service is the rent we pay for being, It is the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time."

--Marion Wright Edelman


"The fruit of love is SERVICE. The fruit of service is PEACE" --Mother Teresa

Sunday, April 18, 2010

being is doing

When people hear the term Peace Corps they often think of remote countries with foreign people, or hippie Americans dying to help people, or the more common one from back home: CRAZY!

Its days like Sundays that i reflect on just why i joined the Peace Corps. Since moving into my own apartment last weekend Ive had LOTS of down time with not much to do. I cant clean my room anymore, there are no dirty dishes and all my clothes are clean. So after trying to keep myself busy in the house i realize i just need to sit and "be." I grab my computer and head outside to my verandah where i can see the beautiful mountains, neighboring villages and the blue ocean. I look out at the horizon thinking that's the way to my home, but I'm content with being so far from that place.

I realize that my understanding of the Peace Corps lifestyle was so naive before coming here. I assumed i would constantly be busy doing things with kids, organizing events and implementing programs. But what i didn't realize is that this place values the down time. Grenada loves to just "be," enjoying the beautiful weather, spending time with people and caring for their homes. I find myself anxious to get out and do something on days like today, where there is no public transportation and the closet village being many miles from my apartment.

So today, after i finish my cleaning, cooking and laundry i have decided to grab my book, head outside and just "be". There aren't that many moments left in life to just relax with a good book and appreciate all the wonderful things life has given you. I will start that today...

No comments:

Post a Comment