"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." --Henry David Thoreau


"Service is the rent we pay for being, It is the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time."

--Marion Wright Edelman


"The fruit of love is SERVICE. The fruit of service is PEACE" --Mother Teresa

Friday, March 12, 2010

Learning to cherish the small things

Many times since arriving on this island we have been told to appreciate the small accomplishments we have, because things move SLOW here. I wasn't really sure what that meant, but after sitting at the YWCA for a full day, staring at cars driving by without much conversation, i learned things were going to move slow here. And all of my family and friends know this one thing about me: I DO NOTHING SLOW! Ive never driven a car slow, I've never taken a slow stroll down the street, I've never ate a big mac slow, I've never talked slow, I've never thought slow, and i have certainly never worked at a slow pace. So to hear the words "take everything in, enjoy the little things, and expect slow progress," was like speaking Chinese to a Spanish person. NOT gonna happen. But.....

It has. I have been given the chance to slow down. Never in my life can i say i was given the chance to slow down. From childhood to adulthood,everyone rushes to raise their kids, get their first job, get through high school, then college. Americans are not bred to do anything slow, and i am 100% American. But through this transition process, I've learned that i don't have meetings to attend, friends to go constantly hang out with (i know that sounds sad, haha), sports events to attend, vacations to plan, jobs to apply for, life to plan. I have none of those worries. For once in my life...i get to sit back and relax, let things in, and consciously decide just what i want to do here. Its such a refreshing feeling to say to myself "who cares, i have all the time in the world."

Now let me give you my funny story of just how i realized to enjoy the funny little moments here:

We went to the beach today, it was wonderful. I take the public transportation bus to and from work everyday. Today i got off at my stop, and a dad with his two young daughters got off with me. I knew which house they lived in, which was a way up the road, so i started a convo with the dad. He was asking why i was here, what i was doing, etc etc. We reach the top of the hill, no breath left, and his two year old daughter starts to bend down in a squatting position. I'm thinking, thank the LORD i am not the only one wanting to bend over hoping to catch my breath, but i was totally wrong. I look over, and this two year old girl has pulled her pants down and is peeing in the MIDDLE of the road, like its second nature. Her dad is chasing behind her as she makes a pee trail saying "honey pull ur pants up, cut it off!" At this point what do you do? Well...i looked over, made eye contact with the gentlemen and just giggled.

Its the little things...

No comments:

Post a Comment