"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." --Henry David Thoreau


"Service is the rent we pay for being, It is the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time."

--Marion Wright Edelman


"The fruit of love is SERVICE. The fruit of service is PEACE" --Mother Teresa

Monday, February 27, 2012

Lessons From The Journey

Forty two days until I return stateside. I've been avoiding looking at a calendar because I have mixed feelings about that countdown. Countdowns are for things you are excited about right? But what if you are excited, scared, anxious, terrified, and sad? Then is it still a countdown? Either way, the only way I knew the magic number today was because a friend asked, then it got me thinking. Over the past two years, the number of life lessons, personal milestones and professional accomplishments I have made really do speak to the magnitude of this Peace Corps experience. I can't help but reflect on the things I've learned about myself in these two short (and sometimes long) years. You know I love lists, so here is another of my personal lessons learned. I feel vulnerable sharing this, but I think it's important to document for my personal self so I can always remember it.

•I have learned to live with the most basic necessities. I can cook anything from flour, sugar and chicken. I can go a month with one bar of soap and don't always need running water.

•I need connections to back home, wherever I go. They keep me grounded, allow for me to grow and remind me where I'm headed.

•I can adapt to the most adverse situations with a little bit of self reflection and a lot a bit of motivation.


•America may be the "greatest country on earth" but that doesn't mean we always do things right. Seeing how other countries do things helped me to realize there is always another good way to do something.

•Slow down. Enjoy the view. Say hello. Appreciate the small things. Hug your friends. Tell people you love them. Do what makes you happy!

•Be yourself. People appreciate you for your differences. I had to step out of my comfort zone to realize people like my weird ways.

•Although I want to help every child, beaten woman or HIV+ person, I can't. It's not always about the final reports and numbers, it's about making a lasting difference in one persons life.

•To feel fulfilled, I need to make someone smile every day. It's the smallest things that matter. And those things are what can make or break someone's day.

•When doing something I love, it's all I think about. I want it done right and I want it done with love.

•The alone time I have (and I have a lot) allows for self discovery. It gives me a chance to reflect, to adjust and to plan. I've learned this time is important and valuable to me. Be still, for in stillness comes understanding.

•Bugs are evil! Particularly blood sucking mosquitos. And cockroaches. Ew!

•Show people you care. Go the extra mile. Do the extra work and people will notice. Good things have come from me doing that little extra thing.

•Love. Love with all you have. For what you give, you will always receive.

1 comment: