"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." --Henry David Thoreau


"Service is the rent we pay for being, It is the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time."

--Marion Wright Edelman


"The fruit of love is SERVICE. The fruit of service is PEACE" --Mother Teresa

Monday, July 18, 2011

Chicken Avocado Pizza

I often times have alot of extra time on my hands, especially now since school is out of session and my counterpart is off island. As many know, I am obsessed with the news and blog world, but after reading up on all my necessary materials, I got bored. So...I decided to look for some new recipes to try. Since being in Grenada I have found myself becoming quite the little chemist in the kitchen. And by chemist I mean opening the cabinet, seeing that I only have ramen noodles, spices and soya, throwing it together and somehow making a new recipe. Hey, it works sometimes!

This week I received a new recipe in my email from Allrecipes.com titled "Chicken Avocado Pizza". How could you not check that recipe out? Luckily, avocados (called pears here in Grenada), are currently in season and very plentiful. The avocados in Grenada are a bit different than the ones we see in the States. They are much larger, about 3 times the average size, have a green outside (that turns purple when ripe) and taste a bit sweeter than the typical avocado. I personally LOVE them, but others say they don't enjoy the sweetness as much.

Another volunteer and I set out to experiment with this recipe as a way to mix things up a bit. After going to two grocery stores and the market, we found the necessary ingredients for this pizza. What ever happened to a Walmart? gosh!

The pizza turned out better than ever, but I suggest eating the entire pizza (yep, I said it) in the first sitting, as it doesn't heat up very well the second go around.

Ingredients:

  • 2 avocados - peeled, pitted and diced
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, or to taste
  • salt to taste
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled
  • pizza crust (2 cups flour, tsp salt, tsp sugar, tsp oil, tbsp yeast)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped cooked chicken breast meat
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered (we diced tomatoes)
  • 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (we used Mozzarella)
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
Directions:
1. Make pizza dough and bake til almost fully done.
2. Mash avocado in a bowl. Add garlic, cilantro, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and lime juice.
3. Spread mixture on pizza crust evenly.
4. Cook chicken til almost done. The chicken will cook fully when in the oven.
5. Add onto the pizza.
6. Top with cheese evenly.
7. Brush crust with olive oil for a nice golden brown color.
8. Bake on 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
9. ENJOY!!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment