"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." --Henry David Thoreau


"Service is the rent we pay for being, It is the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time."

--Marion Wright Edelman


"The fruit of love is SERVICE. The fruit of service is PEACE" --Mother Teresa

Friday, October 22, 2010

Stillness Speaks




"When you lose touch with inner stillness, you lose touch with yourself. When you lose touch with yourself, you lose yourself in the world."

My best friend Tressa sent me this amazing book called "Stillness Speaks" by Eckhart Tolle and I started reading it today. I highly recommend it to anyone who isn't necessarily religious but still has a since of spirituality. Its really taught me to slow down and take in the things around me by just being still. So today I decided to practice being still while sitting on the veranda drinking my coffee and I found myself appreciating my surrounding so much more. Upon further realization I thought making a list would help remind me to stop and appreciate these small moments that I take such advantage of sometimes. So below is my list, enjoy!

--The sound of buses honking their horns in anticipation of the next stop or just simply to say hello.
--Palm trees swaying in the wind
--Birds chirping new songs of harmony
--Rain falling on tin roofs
--Goats crying in hunger
--Children laughing as they skip down the road to the bakery.
--The man blowing his conch horn, warning neighbors of his fish for sale.
--The constant sound of my fan that keeps me cool
--Crunching of vegetables fresh from the garden.
--The sound of airplanes leaving the island as they disappear into the horizon.
--Ravine water splashing against rocks as it makes its way down the mountain.
--Thunder rolling across the mountains

1 comment:

  1. Nice post - those are the things I miss so much. The crickets singing at night and the howling wind winding through my house, the church bells ringing. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete