"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." --Henry David Thoreau


"Service is the rent we pay for being, It is the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time."

--Marion Wright Edelman


"The fruit of love is SERVICE. The fruit of service is PEACE" --Mother Teresa

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Another Near Death Experience

I'm so tired I don't want to get up and go to the bathroom. I left the light on in the kitchen and need to turn it off. I convince myself to just get up and get it over with, but as I stand up i see this creature on the floor. Is it another cockroach? I thought I killed all those for the week. Is it one of those creepy centipede things? Or maybe its just a moth. I go to walk out of my room and it JUMPS at me like it wants to fight. Of course I scream at the top of my lungs followed by &$@%!&#^@*(@)*^$@&*@, but it continues hopping around my room. I go into survival mode and try to figure out how to get this thing (that I still don't know what it is) out of my room and decide the best route is to use a cup. I lean over still in a sleepy daze and the thing jumps out of my way (&$%@*) and under my bed. If I were this little creature I would go under my bed too, because I would know that big human thing wouldn't fit under here to find me.

As I'm moving the bed every each direction and still cursing in fright i FINALLY snatch the thing up in a cup, still not looking to see what it was, and relocate the creature outside. I remember I snapped a picture of the dark spot on the floor before I went into survival mode so I knew I could go back and figure out what it even was, because I sure as hell wasn't going to look in the cup before I threw it outside.

Now...as many of you know, I can be a bit dramatic when it comes to creatures, but it's because I just don't like them. Remember back when I first came to Grenada and that King Iguana tried to eat me? Look back in previous posts if you don't, because I thought then and there my life was over. I knew this is what I signing up for when I joined the Peace Corps. It's an irrational fear that I need to get over and it is on my list of things to conquer before I can leave my service. I've almost mastered the brutal death of large spiders that invade my house, I'm a cockroach killing pioneer and can even swat a mosquito in mid air. It seems every time I master a new skill in the art of bugs/creature/weird scary things another one comes up, like last night at 2 a.m.

So here is what I discovered this morning on my camera. THIS is the creature that had me freaking out...



HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Ok ok, I deserve to be laughed at here. But last night this thing was MUCH larger, I swear! Like I said, I'm still working on the fear of creatures. Baby steps people!

No comments:

Post a Comment