"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." --Henry David Thoreau


"Service is the rent we pay for being, It is the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time."

--Marion Wright Edelman


"The fruit of love is SERVICE. The fruit of service is PEACE" --Mother Teresa

Friday, June 4, 2010

Down Time

Im sitting here in my nice hard bed with my computer on my lap, pondering life. Im not sure if this is the typical Peace Corps Friday night, but its mine. There are no deadlines to meet, no dinner parties or events to attend. Im still getting used to this slow paced life after just four short months here in Grenada. I came here expecting to be going non-stop all of the time and i sometimes wish it were that way. But then after a long days work i enjoy the time i have to myself on my veranda as i watch the sunset. Its the best of both worlds most of time.

Then there are nights like tonight where i miss my family, my friends and my American lifestyle. As my friends go on with their lives and are making new friends im stuck sitting on my bed on a Friday night. I want so bad to be having a great time with my friends back home, but i committed to do a job here, and im determined to complete this mission. When my mind gets cloudy with thoughts of homesickness i try to remember why i decided to join the Peace Corps and what exactly it means to be part of this legacy. These kids here need me and want me here as long as possible. Its selfish of me to sit here and sulk when there is work to be done. Just yesterday as we were headed to the beach i hear "miss! miss! miss!" and it was one of my students from the primary school running up to say hello. She had the biggest smile on her face and was so excited to show her mom who i was. Those are the moments of solitude where you realize just the impact you are having here.

So for now im going to turn up my itunes and read a book. Its my little moment of realization that im doing this alone...for myself. Thats such a good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment