"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." --Henry David Thoreau


"Service is the rent we pay for being, It is the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time."

--Marion Wright Edelman


"The fruit of love is SERVICE. The fruit of service is PEACE" --Mother Teresa

Saturday, March 6, 2010

International Food Festival

After a good morning of semi sleeping in my host family promised we could go to the International Food Fest in hopes that this American would find a cheeseburger and fries.

Small disclaimer...there are tons of different nationalities of people here in Grenada, which i wasn't expecting. There are LOTS of British people, who like to build large homes in retirement, and then end up dying a year later. I'm NOT kidding, this is the humor around the island. There are Irish, some Germans, lots of Italians and some Americans, but not many. Most of the Americans are here for the medical school called St.George University.

So i was eager to try some different foods at this festival. I was pleasantly surprised that there was food from Cuba, Britain, China, Guyana, Trinidad, Germany, and France. I wandered around the convention center checking out all the different types of food, and decided that food from Guyana was a good choice. I had some noodle thingy, borielles (dough ball things), and a mini salad with cucumbers and a nice vinaigrette. I wasn't going to jump in and start trying the pepper stew from Cuba, or the random animal foot from Trinidad, so i stuck with a semi neutral fest that had some different tastes to it. I was pleasantly surprised with my meal and enjoyed watching other people try the food. haha. baby steps people.

After seeing a few of my fellow volunteers and being disappointed by NO American food, we returned home and relaxed the rest of the evening. I'm glad we went today and i got to see the differences of islands food.




My host sister Iffy and I, left alone in the back seat. haha

1 comment:

  1. Mack,

    I just read your blog, they are awesome, it is so interesting and you write it well! I'm so glad you are following what you say you are "meant" to do!! For various reasons I never had that opportunity to do what I believeI was meant to do, so........I'm glad I can follow you with your blogs. Thanks for this opportunity!. Be Safe, Donna

    ReplyDelete