"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." --Henry David Thoreau


"Service is the rent we pay for being, It is the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time."

--Marion Wright Edelman


"The fruit of love is SERVICE. The fruit of service is PEACE" --Mother Teresa

Sunday, February 21, 2010

My first public event and the amazing food...

I have never realized until this experience just how terrible Americans eat. No wonder we have diebetes and obesity destroying our people. I have been introduced to more fruits and vegetables in these two days then i have in my whole life, not exaggerating either. Im talking right from the garden vegetables that actually have a taste to them. My host family goes to their garden everyday and gets the stuff we need for the day. How refreshing and beautiful is that? It amazes me that Americans have such the resources and potential to do the same thing, yet we prefer to make it "easy" by hitting up Walmart (which i will NEVER buy produce from again), or just going the drive thru route. Why? These vegetables are beautiful, taste filled and HEALTHY, grown right in the back yard. WAKE UP PEOPLE!

Ok enough with my rant, on to something more positive. I have a host sister (4 siblings actually) that is 7. Her name is Iffyoma (pronounced if-e-oh-ma) and she is the most adorable little girl, but is having trouble warming up to me. Her mom said they have tried to warn her for weeks that a guest is coming, but she is just reluctant to speak to me. Yesterday at her bday party i barely got a hello, so it was my mission today to at least get her to semi speak to me, rather then getting the "why is this white woman talking to me face." We were sitting around the kitchen table (as we spend alot of our time), waiting for lunch to be prepared and she comes around the corner with this box she got for her bday. Its a "quick assembly ballerina doll" kit, and she comes and sits next to me. She is struggling to get the box open,so i asked if i could help. She quickly mumbled yes please, and the rest is history. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED....

On another note, i forgot to tell everyone that there is a serious water shortage on the island, so we have to conserve everything we can. There is only running water in my house from 6am-9am everyday. So that means that my host dad gets up at 6am to do the dishes and fill bottles of water so we can have water to do daily tasks. This means i get up early in the morning to shower, or i would go without. Its an eye opening experience to just how often we use water in our day to day lives.

So as the bug bites continue, and the learning process continues i find myself realizing just how much the little things in life matter. Ive taken so much for granted over the years, and this is my chance to change that mindset.

Marching thru the streets of St.George.

My host sister Iffy on the right.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are doing well. I am enjoying your post's! I am glad Iffy warmed up to you. Keep posting and I will keep reading........

    Love,

    Uncle Greg

    ReplyDelete